Monday, May 15, 2006

Old vs. New, Nov. 6, 2007?

Over the weekend, City Councilor Dean Tran popped in with a very interesting comment.

Catching up on my blog reading and digressing from the topic.2ndSon said: “Think
you have it tough? How'd you like to be in Dean Tran's seat dealing with that
collected bunch?”What I would do to give each and every one of you, excluding
the councilors that are blogging as ‘anonymous’, the opportunity to sit in my
chair and experience the twilight zone. After the comments I heard at last
nights’ public safety meeting, I don’t think it can get any worse. I hope!As
someone stated on a separate topic, yes I was on Peter Blute’s radio talk show
this morning. How can any one turn down a request to be on a statewide 50K watts
radio talk show?BTW, I have a Twilight Zone name plate that I place on my desk
in the Council Chamber when I’m in there. Whenever I feel common sense and
professionalism are lacking and the interest of the city is not of a concern, it
serves as a reminder as to where I am.


Take what you want from it, there's probably something in there for everybody. It's striking to see Tran's frustration so plain just four months into his stint on the council. You don't really need to read between the lines to see who Tran is frustrated with.

To kind of move this forward a little bit, this would appear to be a real good sign of a brewing battle between "Old Fitchburg" and "New Fitchburg." Tran is clearly the standard-bearer for "New Fitchburg," while "Old Fitchburg" is standing by its traditional guns. We have about 18 months to the next city election, but it might be worth noting if next year's election will be an "Old"-"New" referendum. The old guard did well last year (say hi, Annie DiMartino. Sorry, Jay Cruz). Will Fitchburg jump onto the "New" train with both feet next year? Or will the "Old" have its say again? If Tran doesn't get some new-wavers on board next year, can he go another term -- considering he already appears to have gotten to the end of his rope. The city could use a good dose of "New Fitchburg." Hopefully a good slate of up-and-comers can band together and make a run for council and mayor next fall. Thinking about storming the castle 18 months out isn't too early.

|