Friday, July 18, 2008

Recent Comments

It's been a while since I've had to deal with the issue of comments. In fact, for so long, it probably set some kind of record. But in the last few days I've heard too many complaints/comments/requests to ignore it any longer.

The rules for getting a comment posted here are pretty simple: Be clean, don't libel, and be fair. And by fair, I mean don't write "Councilor X is moronic poopiehead." "Councilor X makes terrible mistakes and is killing the city" is much better.

There are comments that I let through that are purely opinion -- and often opinion I not only don't agree with, but think is flat wrong -- and aren't backed up with one bit of fact. Not my preference, but who am I to judge someone's opinion? I try, as often as possible, to present some fact -- or at least some reason -- to what I write. I'm sure I often fail, but I do try.

There are certainly some folks with agendas, and some who shoot first and ask questions later. There some some comments that present supposition, rumor, and guess as facts. If it's not libelous, I allow it. I'm not opposed to opinion and discussion. I'm against unfairness and illegal stuff and name-calling. No one wants to be called a jerk. We've been through all this before.

I hear from a lot of people who don't like many of the comments here. I don't like them all either. But I also think most people are able to recognize the sound of a grinding ax when they hear it. If you can hear it enough that you're bringing it up to me, perhaps you should consider that when you read the comments.

So, for those who have said or written something to me in recent weeks, I hear you and am not ignoring you. Everyone who visits here is interested in the city and its future, and in general are smart enough to figure out what qualifies as insightful and not. Use your best judgement, join in, and try to enjoy. Thanks for listening, and thanks for reading.

Labels:

|