Friday, January 16, 2009

You Won't Get Rid of Me So Easily

Hi, everyone.

I'm hearing some buzz that my somewhat (intentionally) vague column in today's paper has cranked up some talk about my future. So, in order to keep things relatively under control, a few thoughts:

No, I'm not moving. We're staying in Fitchburg. That's very unlikely to change in the future.

I have a new job, back in the world of public relations, and I'm looking forward to getting to it. That said, I will terribly miss the day-to-day work at the Pride. It probably was the best job I've ever said.

I will still be in the Pride on a regular (monthly, more if events of the day/week/month demand more) basis. I might do some more web stuff. I'll still be doing Save Fitchburg. There might be some other stuff, we're still sorting some of that out.

I have no doubt the future of the Pride is bright, and that it's not going anywhere. Not sure what the long-term plans are, but reporter Karen Mann is still around, and that's all that matters. She's fantastic. This new endeavor has nothing to do with the state of affairs in the Pride in particular or newspapers in general. My belief in the power and potential of independent, local nespapers hasn't changed one little bit, and my belief in the future of Fitchburg is unchanged. It's real, and it's happening.

I will miss being editor of the Pride, without question. But this is a good move for me and my family, and it's a great opportunity for us. When you put out a paper and a front page like this week's -- with a great story on Unitil, a vital look-ahead on campaign season, and a well-written celebration of one of the people that make Fitchburg and its institutions special -- it's tough to go out while kicking ass. But the Pride will continue to kick ass.

At the end of "Goodfellas," Henry Hill complains about his suburban existence, particularly when goes out for dinner and gets "egg noodles and ketchup," like all the other "shmucks." When it comes to next Friday, I'll be with the other shmucks, picking up the paper at the nearest distribution point. It'll be sad being on the outside, but I'll know I'm picking up a great product that is a reflection of the promise and future of the community I'm living in.

Labels: ,

|