Wednesday, September 10, 2008

SF Child: No to Uniforms

And her father agrees, I think.

If you missed it, there's the perennial push for school uniforms in the city's schools. Mayor Lisa Wong was on WEIM 1280 "The Blend" this morning. She was pretty non-committal, even on how the city should even go about getting community feedback.

SF Child 1 is 5, and is all of six days into kindergarten, but I figured I'd ask her what she thought about wearing a white shirt and blue or brown pants or skirts everyday. She crinkled her face and said "nah." Not surprising for a kid who wears a pink shirt everyday and was sporting glittery jeans this morning. So, there's your community feedback.

I think I'm also opposed to uniforms, mostly because I think it's going to cost me more, and that's probably true for tons of kids. Many kids wear the same thing out of school that they do in school (I guess for better or worse in some cases), SF Child 1 included. Buying uniforms is only going to add a whole new section to the wardrobe budget that I'd prefer not to have to deal with. Major deal? No. To the point that I'm not even close to particularly charged up on this matter, and if it happens, well, whatever. Yes, I'm a man of my convictions.

Anyway, at least one kindergartner is opposed.

Labels:

|