Monday, September 11, 2006

Where's the Vision?

Here's what learned at last week's forum in the Worcester 3rd Democratic primary:
  • All three candidates (Steve DiNatale, David LeBlanc, Mary Whitney) favor gay marriage, and wouldn't dare the Legislature's handling of the issue.
  • All three kind of understand the basics of the health care law, and think it's a good first step.
  • All three wouldn't touch the gas tax, and are leery of rolling back the income tax.
  • All three want better commuter rail service.
  • All three want more lottery aid and Chapter 70 money.
  • All three love Fitchburg State College.
Here's one thing we didn't learn on Thursday: Their vision for Fitchburg?

Beyond the above snarky assessment, we did learn a few other things, most notably just how far ahead DiNatale seems at this point, but no one painted a picture of what they see in the city's future. They ran through a series of facts and positions (sometimes enlightening, sometimes not) and provided an understanding of where they stand on issues and their grasp of the issues and Beacon Hill.

In essense, the main goal seemed to be, "I'm going to grab as much money as I can for the city." In fact, when asked to provide a non-revenue goal, DiNatale answered with an idea to get more money. A little energy, a little vision, a little enthusiasm would go a long way. How about something like this:

"Everything I do on Beacon Hill will be focused on making Fitchburg the best small city in Massachusetts and New England. I won't work just with the Legislature, but I will be the city's voice in the Governor's Office and state agencies, advocating on the city's behalf and working on every level to improve the city.

Fitchburg needs more than money. It needs a commitment to healing its psyche and making its business and community stronger. I will work with the office of economic development to find those small business who need startup space in our downtown. I will work to identify those developers who have found success with condominium units in Lowell, Lawrence and elsewhere and bring them to Fitchburg.

I will find state programs that encourage restaurants, shops and other retail establishments to move downtown. If they don't exist, I'll create them. I will help local officials identify a major attraction for downtown -- be it a ballpark, movie theater or something else -- and help make it a reality.

I'll make sure the Route 12 expansion is done quickly, adding a lifeline to downtown. I'll make sure commuter rail progress is ongoing, whether its through quicker service or just plain better service. I will scour state agencies for every program and initiative that will make downtown better.

Most importantly, I will take every day to the State House that this is a new Fitchburg. This is a city that is on the verge of not just recovering, but becoming a regional powerhouse. I will make sure everyone knows that in Fitchburg, an investment now will pay huge dividends in the long run.

Our city is moving in the right direction, and I'm excited to have the opportunity to play a role in that progress. It's a new day for Fitchburg. There's a lot to do, but I can't wait to dig in and do it."

|