Friday, August 31, 2007

Some Good (Or Is It?) Fantasy Talk`

Yeah, yeah, there's an election in 25 days, but I just got through with two fantasy football drafts this week, and if you think I'm not writing about that, well....

If you don't care, good for you. If you're as big a dork as I am, feel free to read on.

First, the Mostly Married Guys League

This is a group of college buddies. Great guys. Good fantasy players.

Shaun Alexander is back for a fourth season (keeper league) with Thomas Jones probably the number two RB, but Marshawn Lynch will be warming up in the bullpen quickly. The highlight is grabbing Drew Brees in the third round. I think he's going to have another monster year. I'm thrilled about that. May be a little thin at wide out, with Donald Driver (already nicked up) at the top. But, I've got guys like Braylon Edwards and Vincent Jackson that might be ready for huge years. This might be an upside team with Edwards, Jackson and Lynch potentially getting a lot of time. I've also got the Losman on hand if Brees is a problem -- another upside guy.

I've been competitive in this league, winning the title two years ago and making the semis last year even with Alexander out for the middle third of the season. I should be right in the mix.

My other league, the boringly named Legal Engineers, is run by Ralph Romano, and is full of local guys who apparently don't play fantasy much, don't do research, or don't listen.

As in my other league, I targeted Brees for the third round, after two RBs. Didn't happen. One joker took Brady in the first round. In all, six -- six -- QBs went in the first 25 spots. Unheard of. Not really sure what these guys were thinking.

I took Willie Parker in the first round, but probably should have taken Reggie Bush. I think I'll regret that pick later. I got Maurice Jones-Drew in the second round. This league is weird, with a kicker going in the fifth round and Todd Heap going in the fourth. So I loaded up on quality running backs. Someone is going to come looking for a trade eventually, and I have five quality RBs, with DeAngelo Williams, Len Dale White and Ahman Green also on the roster. All are starters, and all will make tasty trade bait later. Wait and see.

With all the top-shelf (and second-shelf, really) QBs gone, I decided to wait until much later to grab a thrower. I took Roy Williams as a WR -- nice -- and Lee Evans, who was a beast last year. I stole Jackson, again, in the 8th round, which makes me happy. I also grabbed Mike Furrey in both leagues, who was sensational in the second half of last year.

In the 9th round, I took the The Kitna, who people forget was a pretty good QB before Carson Palmer around, and is in a great system in Detroit. I like that pick at that point. Good value, as the fantasy weirdos say. Losman, again, as a backup. While I don't have a top-flight guy at QB, I think I'll get one, eventually. Too many guys in this league are way thin at RB. If not, I'll take my chances with what I have. I also tucked Kurt Warner on the end of my bench. While I think Leinart will be a stud, I also think he's a strong hurt possibility, and he might flat-out suck (but I seriously doubt it).

Finally, in my last pick, I took Jacoby Jones, Houston WR. The buzz is building on this guy, and I wanted to stash him away on my roster. If nothing else, when he explodes in one of the first four games and someone goes looking for him waivers, my greatness will be fully explained.

There you go. More as the season goes on. For now, go Revenge of Lane Kiffin.

Labels: , ,

|