Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Friends in High Places


It's a little blurry, but there you go: Lisa Wong on stage with U.S. Sen John Kerry, Gov. Deval Patrick, and Caroline Kennedy during Barack Obama's Boston appearance last night. Ted Kennedy is just off the left edge of the screen.

And that's it on stage. Three senators, a governor, a daughter of a former president, and the mayor of Fitchburg. Say what you want about Wong, and some people already are, but that's pretty stinking amazing. How can that be bad for Fitchburg? I do not know.

Wong spoke to the crowd first last night.

"In 2007 I fought against claims that I did not have enough experience, that the city of Fitchburg was not ready to elect a young asian woman, that I was too academic and that I should wait my turn. That tactic did not work in 2007 and it certainly will not work in 2008," Wong said. "I am proud to be the new Mayor of the city of Fitchburg, just as I will be proud when Barack Obama is the new President of the United States."

Wong is a member of Obama's New England steering committee, and said (half-jokingly, but half not) that she'll try to get him to Fitchburg when he's president.

Will Barack Obama remember Lisa Wong on Jan. 20, 2009, if he's taking the oath of office? Who knows. But someone in the Obama campaign is paying attention and will remember her, and there's nothing wrong with that at all.

Labels: ,

|