Friday, June 13, 2008

24 Down, 2 Up, 1 to Go

So, I started the third quarter last night playing a PSP, and peeking at the game. I figured I'd give the Celtics a shot to get back in the game, but after a horrible first half wasn't really expecting much.

Then the Celts quickly got it to 11, so I put the PSP down. Then it was back down by 20, so I picked the PSP back up. And then, quickly, the Celts went to work. I quietly played my Tiger Woods while really watching the game (my round of video golf when in the dumper right fast). Mrs. Save Fitchburg wasn't really a fan of my seeming disinterest, but at that point I wasn't sure the comeback was fully legit, and I had some small superstitions working.

The PSP got put away for the fourth quarter, and you know the rest. After toying with taking the lead, the Cs went down four about halfway through the fourth, and then a little mini-spurt got them a lead they wouldn't give up. The Celtics are one game away from the title.

Considering how last night, there's not much to say, except starting to decide whether or not I should play hooky some day next week.*

If you're a Lakers fan, you're devastated. The Lakes finally played to their full potential, and looked amazing. It was the high-level quality of basketball they had to think they were capable of. But in the last 18 minutes, all their inadequacies -- the things on a smaller scale lost them Games 1 and 2 -- were bare to the world. They couldn't defend. Odom went from all-world to on the missing person's list. Gasol was his consistent non-factor. Kobe couldn't get to the rim, and the offense ground to a halt. Vujocovic (or whatever) looked like he was going to cry on the bench. Obviously it was their 18 minutes of the series (of the season?), but the problems were the ones they've had all series.

Phil Jackson put the right scheme in place when he put Bryant on Rondo. Poor Rondo, exposed to the world. But Doc Rivers (who has pushed all the buttons in the last two week -- reminicent of Francona in the 2004 playoff run) made the (semi-gutsy) move to go with Eddie House and Posey and spread the floor. You'd have to think we'll be seeing a lot of that lineup the rest of the way. The C's don't need too much in terms of power and bigs against this team, so that lineup has potential the rest of the way.

Paul Pierce said after last night he wants to finish it on Sunday, Father's Day. That's absolutely fine with me.

*-Yes, yes, I know this series isn't over yet. Yes, yes, everytime I hear the "28 times a team has gone up 3-1 in the Finals, and all have won the series" I think of "No MLB team has ever come back from a 3-0 deficit," but at this point you have to believe, right?

Labels: ,

|