Thursday, December 18, 2008

I'm Taking It All Back

While I still think there needs to be a review of Unitil and the city's emergency planning, I'll say this: I'm taking back all criticisms and compliments I've given here this week (except for the councilors. They really kicked ass by any measure).

Here's why:

Simply, I don't know shit about this stuff. I don't know how power gets turned back on, I don't know how the circuit systems are set up, and I don't know how this all gets decided and fixed behind the scenes. Yes, it's disturbing that thousands of people won't have power a week after the storm, but I don't know enough to launch off anymore. Maybe I'm getting soft in my re-powered old age. I also realize that, hell, no one in an official capacity -- private and public -- has been through anything like this before. There's no experience or past practices to rely on. There's a playbook -- hopefully -- but you can give Tom Brady and Randy Moss a playbook, but they don't run the plays well until they get practice. And who has ever really been able to practice this?

So, we'll go back to firing away on this at some point, and there are some obvious targets, but for now, we're going to realize our ignorance makes us unqualified, and we're going to put the hammer away... for now. But I'm sure there are plenty of "experts" who will now tell me why I'm an idiot.

Labels:

|