Friday, September 28, 2007

Sometimes, I Am Smart

I wrote this on July 31. It alludes to an earlier post that says the same thing, but for some reason I can't find it:

We talked a few months ago about the Sox's hot start, and holding off the
Yankees. Without going into the archives, I remember Rupert K saying the Sox
would be caught. We went to the numbers to figure out how tough it would be for
the Yanks to make up the ground. After this brutal week for the Yankees, I
figured it was time for an update:The Red Sox are 48-26. We figured all along
their good for about 95 wins. They need to go 47-41 the rest of the way to get
to that mark. And yes, we're ruling out the rest of the division, which doesn't
have the horses for a run. The Sox have a few problems -- they can't hit
sometimes, the middle relief is due for a rough stretch one of these days, and
they're starting pitching has gotten nicked up. But, if you believe Beckett has
had his DL stretch, and that Schilling is halfway through his, how can you not
think the Sox are going to win at least 95 games this year? Even if Schilling is
out for a while, 95 seems a minimal goal.So...The Yankees are 36-37. Yup, back
under .500. Unbelieveable. The Yankees would have to go 59-30 the rest of the
way to get to 95 wins. 59-30. Basically, they'd have to win every series the
rest of the way. Can they do it? Well, yeah, I guess. They certainly had a nice
two-week stretch there a few weeks ago. But that's an awfully, awfully, tough
task. And that's assuming the Sox only go 47-41 the rest of the way.To sum this
all up: I made plans to be away the weekend of Sept. 15-17, forgetting I have
tickets for the Sox-Yanks game on the 15th. At this point, I'm confident I can
be away and not miss anything. I don't think things will change over the next
two-and-a-half months.

Why do I bring this up? The Sox won the AL East tonight. The same night they won their 95th game.

Labels: ,

|